lavenderose

I thought that I might dream today...

Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Viva la revolucion!

The following is my weak attempt at philosophy and tends to ramble at times. May be found boring. Sorry.


"She has her own little stories running around in her head and forgets about reality," I said to my Dad, talking about a woman I know who has been getting on my nerves.
"Sounds like a Liberal." Dad laughed heartily at his own creativity with a joke. We weren't talking politics before, but now we were.
"Oh yeah? Well then a Conservative is someone who blindly believes whatever "reality" the authorities tell them to believe, without questioning anyone or anything." I am a liberal, and I have to defend myself.

It's a valid point my Dad has. Sometimes I wonder about myself--stuck in my own little realities, forcing the world to commit to my one little vision of peace and love for all of the earth. Of countries doing the right thing, of talking about morality and justice and then actually walking the walk. Of my country being a shining beacon of peace and love and liberty, of unity and strength and compassion and honesty, of hardwork and industry and intelligence--an example of how the similarities of human beings always outweigh the differences. Remember, the six most important words of our country's foundation were United we Stand, Divided we Fall . But look at what we've been reduced to: Gays should/should not be married. Abortion should/should not be legal. Liberals are the most intelligent/most duped. Republicans will save our country/ruin our country.

It's hard being a liberal. As such, we are always facing criticism of "that's unrealistic." Because a larger faction of liberals than Conservatives are atheist or agnostic or don't believe in hell, we face the opposition of the Bible-spouting religious and every person they frighten into adherence. Even when we make good, solid points. Even when it is realistic. Even when we are religious too.

I am a Christian. I cannot deny the story of my own making--it is absolutely beautiful. There is power in my Christian beliefs, and even though I have been attacked for being a heretic, for being a liberal, a Unitarian-Universalist, and for believing in a "loose" interpretation of the Bible I still believe that I am "holier than thou." I believe that humans miss a good deal of the religious point, and just because some men wrote it down in a book does not make it the "WORD" of God-- the way things are most certainly, without doubt. It makes it a reflection of a society struggling to explain its existence and become more civilized.

The first gigantic religious revolution within the christian era was when the protestants separated from the catholics because they didn't want some stupid pope or confessor telling them what to believe and claiming the right to talk to God for them, ultimately telling them what to do.

Most right-wing religious are now protestants.

We may be on the cusp of the second religious revolution--when religious factions decide that we don't want some stupid book written 2000 years ago telling us what to do or telling us what God thinks. God is in each of us. We can talk to God ourselves. In each of us is a conscience that is God's voice. Judgement will come from the decisions we make. Maybe the Bible will be revised to reflect this society as it struggles to become more civilized.

Maybe I should write a liberal Bible. I'm sure I'd get asassinated. Heresy is a mighty powerful word.

Dad says the ultimate problem he has with same-sex marriages is that it is just "morally" wrong. I asked why why it is morally wrong--his answer pointed to the Bible. I asked him about who wrote the Bible and if he believed that the Bible is free from human interference, to which he replied he "has to believe in the Bible because we need something to believe in."

My Dad's ultimate problem with same-sex marriages is that it leads to people believing they can have whatever they want, going against old tradition, lacking restraint, fulfilling themselves with whatever wherever, lacking discipline, becoming too decadent. In short, the decay of the fabric that he believes has held civilization together for so long--the power of people being told what to do and listening to what they are told.

I say, how does making a few wrong things right change the entire moral fabric? If anything, it makes us MORE moral and just. And it does not follow that the whole entire structure of civilization as we know it will fall apart because a few things are changed.

People will always do as other people do. People will always follow the rules. It's okay to make new rules. It happens.


If new rules hadn't been made, blacks would still be slaves. Millions of people in our country would be starving and living in slums. Women would have no rights. Trial would be held without jury.

Of course, I'm not really one to speak about this. I have trouble with morality issues all the time. Should I have sex with this person? Is it a sin? Do I judge others too much? Am I too lazy? Sometimes I think I DO need someone to tell me what to do. God is really pissing me off lately. Why does God have to make it so difficult for humans to know what we are really like? So much good, so much evil. Or maybe we're just giant ornamental eating-breeding tubes.

And just in case I am wrong and for absolution and for all the brainwashing I have faced over the years that may not have been brainwashing at all: Please God don't smite me down for what I have wrote.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home