lavenderose

I thought that I might dream today...

Thursday, February 19, 2004

Three reasons to celebrate...

First, I got my cat Lucky back from Mike's house. Lucky is the adorable amazingly long orange tabby cat that Mike rescued from the Dames Point Bridge in Jacksonville four years ago. He was just a little kitten then, small, wet, and covered in oil when Mike brought him to me in a cardboard box. "You need a friend," Mike said. I nursed him back to health. He grew. We became friends. When I broke up with Mike, he pleaded with me to let him keep the cat. "No! No! You can't take Lucky! He is my best friend! I need him! I won't let you!" I think he even cried. But he's my cat, I thought. I entertained ideas of a drive-by cat-napping. I knew, though, that Mike would probably just return the favor. I was pregnant. I was only mildly pissed off--I had more important things to think about than Cat War I. Besides, I was hoping that Lucky would help Mike to chill out. But now I have Lucky back. Mike is moving and cannot bring the cat. Lucky is home again. It's been fun waching Issac's maniacal grin as he chases the cat up and down the hallway. It's been lovely having a warm purring cat sitting in my lap. (We won't discuss the problems of cat hair on this joyful occassion.)

Second, I got a valentine's letter in the mail yesterday from my cousin Catherine. It had a picture of her family. She has lived in Arizona, Texas, and Minnesota, so I have only met her a few times. She is 31, a lawyer, and mother to two boys. When I was little I thought she was sooooo cool and grown up and beautiful. She is still very beautiful, and we have the same nose.

Third, I met with a pro-teach english education advisor yesterday, and discovered that the pro-teach graduate program at UF only admits entry every fall. Since I will not graduate until the end of fall 2004, this means that I will be forced to take 8 months off and wait until the fall of 2005 to begin work on my master's degree. This conveniently solves my "should I go straight to work and start earning some real money after getting my BA or should I continue straight into grad school?" question rather nicely, incorporating the best of both worlds. I will take a nice 8 month break. Now my question has transformed into "should I work nights as a waitress and miss putting Issac to bed or should I substitute-teach during the days but be able to maintain his bedtime schedule?"


I'm thinking I will waitress at nights...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home