lavenderose

I thought that I might dream today...

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Blame It On the Bossnova

I title this post such because it was my favorite song played by the musicians who accompanied us to the beautiful little secret spring deep in the Ocala National Forest. Included is a picture of Annie's bass, which made the song a real hit. We all danced on the porch, shaking our hips, holding glasses of wine, singing "Blame it on the bossanova, and its magic spell...blame it on the bossanova, that we did so well..."

What a sweet time!! Enjoy the pics, which were taken with my cheapo camera, but even so, capture the real beauty of natural Florida.

Oh yeah, I have a story to tell. Issac and I went on a canoe trip up the river, which was a little difficult because the current is strong. Even so, we managed to manuever pretty well. We made it around three or four bends when we came upon, I kid you knot, a dead alligator. At first I thought it was a log in the water, but as we got closer, I saw that this "log" had four webbed feet sticking up in the air. Then I saw a tail. And this was not a small gator--it was, minus the tail, four or five feet. I did not get any closer, or else I would have noticed that this alligator was missing its head. I was pretty sure it was not sunning itself, but just for the sake of safety I quickly hightailed it back to the cabin. Yikes!

Everyone at the cabin thought I was telling a tall-tale, trying to pull someone's leg. My brother and some boys checked it out and confirmed that it was dead by poking it with their paddles. Yuck. They confirmed that it was missing a head.

How does a gator end up dead, missing a head? Poachers? Bigger alligators? Hmmm. Anyways, it was interesting. It's not everyday that you come upon four webbed feet sticking up out of the river.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home