lavenderose

I thought that I might dream today...

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Something Big and Something Small...

So I started a new job. In sales. Selling. Which is fun when people want to buy, but not fun when people don't. It's fun when I make $500 in one day, but not fun when I go a week without a sale. It's fun when I get to set my own schedule (I've been setting aside a few hours of "me" time every week to hit the gym-- in a few months, I'm gonna look like J-Lo. Just wait.)

Apart from battling the "sleazy salesman" image, I like what I do. I find it challenging and exciting to approach people and determine ways in which I can help them. When a match exists between my services (credit card processing) and their needs (the best rates), everybody wins. But it also gets exhausting hearing "no" so often. It's cut-throat out there. There is really an art to getting through to people--to saying the right things at the right times. It takes a lot of energy to maintain an exuberant attitude all day long, but this is something that I aspire to anyways.

Which brings me to discuss my aspirations. This is not what I want to do with my life. I want to do *BIG* things. I want to do things that *REALLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE.* I do not want to sell rates on credit card processing services.

So why am I doing it? It's convenient. It's flexible. It pays the bills. And it is training me for whatever it is that I am going to do next. In the big picture, I think this sales background is really going to pull through for me. I can see it affecting my future when I *OWN MY OWN BUSINESS, AM A WORLD DIPLOMAT, AM NEGOTIATING HIGH-PAYING CONTRACTS, ETC.*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home