lavenderose

I thought that I might dream today...

Monday, January 31, 2005

Something Funny

When I was grocery shopping the other day (read stellarpurpledaisy's post for another grocery store laugh), I didn't believe my eyes when I saw, on one of those signs hanging from the ceiling in my local Hitchcock's Foodway, that a brand new food category has been invented. Under the usual headings of "canned foods" and "juices," there is now the label "institutional food."

Institutional food? What's that? Jello, pudding, and Ensure? These were the only things on the aisle that I could imagine placing under this new category.

I hope I'm not being insensitive. It's just that if you're in an institution, I assume the insitution does the grocery shopping for you. I would object to asking my husband to "go down to the store and pick up some institutional food." I would, I think, object to eating institutional food in general. If jello, chocolate pudding, and Ensure are the only items on the institutional food list, then it is no surprise that old people loose their teeth and have loose bowels.

That's all. Oh yeah, and just in case it's never happened to you, it's hard to not feel like a dork when you're standing by the bananas laughing outloud to yourself.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home