lavenderose

I thought that I might dream today...

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Recently...

1) Shocking Stove-- My stove has this horribly bad habit of sending electric wattage through my body if I accidently make a closed circuit by touching a metal spoon to the bottom of the pan while simultaneously leaning against the metal handle which runs across the top of the oven. Ouch. It feels like someone is grabbing all of your joints and stetching them out on the rack. I've been tired lately, hence leaning a lot, and boy will that wake you up! Unfortunately, if I am holding Issac he gets shocked too.

2) Lightening-- Really scary lightening is happening right outside my window. I mean right outside it, with instantaneous shaking thunder that lasts for 45 seconds, making me cringe and practically jump out of my seat. In fact, the last three strikes have made my computer screen snap off for a second. I should probably turn off my computer. Oh boy, there was just another one. I feel like a shell-shocked soldier hiding in a fox-hole. This last one sent my hiding under the blankets on the couch.

3) Weasely Registration Tactics-- My registration strategy has worked again. I've managed to weasel my way into three of the four classes I want. The fourth class hasn't met yet, and I will weasel myself into that class as well--it's required for my minor and this is my last semester. They HAVE to let me take it.

4) Cocky Attitude-- I hope my cocky attitude doesn't give me bad kharma. I was just thinking that if I don't get into this class required for my minor, that would be worse than not getting into all three of the classes I did get into.

5) Reading List-- This summer I promised myself I would read a lot of books since I will not be able to read books of my own leisure during the busy semester. My summer book reading went as follows: Prodigal Summer (Barbara Kingsolver), Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy), parts of The Western Canon (Harold Bloom), The Tale of Professor Fargo (Henry James), The Case for Christ (Lee Strobel), Why I Am a Christian (John Stott), Many Lives Many Masters (Brian Weiss), The Dharma Bums (Jack Kerouac), It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life (Lance Armstrong). I think this list is pathetic-- I am embarassed to display it. I should read more books and less smut.

6) Grandpa's Stroke-- My Grandpa had a mild stroke the other day. It was very milde and he has regained all of his faculties, but it is still scary. My grandpa is a stoic statue--he doesn't have feelings, much less weaknesses. At least that is the impression twenty-three years of knowing him have given me. Now I see that he has weaknesses, and must necessarily have feelings, after being confronted with the fact that his life is nearing an end. This scares me. I think of my grandpa grasping with the rude awareness that he is on the brink of entering his last "age," and it makes me realize that I will die someday. I usually don't think about these things. I don't want my grandpa to die. I don't want to die.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home