lavenderose

I thought that I might dream today...

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Already Occupied

Less than a dark night and already you’ve built a home
Here in a chair that is already occupied,
reserved for a little boy already in overalls.

You are a weaver of time, perhaps?
Already weaving before you’ve checked your facts,
Already expecting the arch of
the stick that will wipe you down.

Still, you seem surprised, like you didn’t think I’d really do it,
Believing I’d have pity on an arachnid--
Your little yellow body bobs along the web in a state of panic,
Bewildered disillusionment for an insect used to living in
The tangled webs that we weave,
Aware or unaware that mothers open car windows
And overnight down sometimes leave.

And from last night...

Today is my 5th day as the program director of the un-named camp down in archer that the kids are calling the “free YMCA.” I’m sitting here, having finished a honeybrown beer, feeling slightly better about camp. I’ve brainstormed all of these great ideas that get my mind going so fast that it can’t stop for me to go to sleep—ideas like a leadership program for the older kids where they learn mediation techniques and listen to inspirational speakers, and field trips, and publicity for our program, and a big buddy program to help out the little kids, and the list goes on and on. I want to take these kids who people pity, and turn their “free charity camp” into the coolest thing that they will remember for ever and ever. Sounds simple, huh? Too bad that I’m practically famous for my day-dreams that almost never turn into reality. But I can do it, huh? I really want to.

Trying to institute some control down there is absolutely chaotic. I feel like a broken record—“Everybody listen up! Listen! Shhh! I need your attention! Hey hey! Sit down! NOW!” or “This is unacceptable! There is no reason for you to act like a bunch of five year olds! I know you are capable of doing what I am asking!”

The first step is to establish a sense of order. I’m not taking ANY kids on a field trip until they can exhibit to me that they are capable of behaving at camp, following directions, keeping focused for more than just a few minutes, being able to be kind to each other for a sustainable period of time.

So tomorrow I will bribe them with the prospect of field trips.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home