lavenderose

I thought that I might dream today...

Friday, October 08, 2004

Hardly Constitutional


The reason I chose this parchment looking background is because I wanted to be able to title all of my posts with that supe- scriptive, curly-swirly, founding-fathers type font to the left, in honor of the upcoming elections and the patriotism I am recently experiencing. But I can't figure it out, so oh well. The day will come when my web-page skills will rock your world. There's a very good chance that in 30 years, at the ripe age of fifty-four, my web-pages will kick ass.

PS--Did I tell everyone that I met Ralph Nader when he came to UF, and that he signed my book and I shook his hand? He's my hero! Yeah Ralph! Check out his website. I actually like everything I've ever heard about the guy, and I think he's the only one with enough guts to do what really needs to be done for the good old USA. I'd be proud to serve in the military if he was my commander-in-chief. Plus, I always thought he was smart, but in fact, he's really very smart (and funny to boot).

It's sad. In class, 6 out of the 7 random democrats I talked to recently said that they liked him better than Bush and Kerry, but they're too afraid to vote for him, since a vote for Nader is a vote for Bush. If these numbers are reflective of the rest of the country, we have over 40% of the population wanting to vote for Nader, but scared to death to do so.

Nader said in his speech that he would never run on the Democratic ticket. First, they would never take him because he fights monopolies and corporations and refuses soft-money, but also because the Democrats are no longer the progressive party. They've compromised too much, sold out for too long, and now they are just a shell of the vision they once held. They spout rhetoric about being the people's party, but if you look at what they do it's just a milder version of the Republican plan. I'm talking about some real change, here, folks. About standing up for what you really believe in, not standing up for what is not-quiet-so-bad-we-hope. If you ask me, a vote for Kerry is a vote for Bush, because ultimately, they belong to the same people, rich CEO's and big corporations. (Example: NOT A SINGLE DEMOCRAT IN THE SENATE VOTED AGAINST BUSH'S NOMINEES FOR SUPREME COURT JUSTICES. NOT EVEN KERRY).

After I campaign for Kerry this year, I vow to devote my life to Nader's campaign. I heard someone say something sad yesterday--that Nader is like a sad boxer who is past his prime. Blasphemy! I'll rally in his corner until he's 103!

No hate mail please.

(I've gotten in enough political scuffs this week to last me another four years).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home